Monday, November 26, 2007

Reflection on The Bell Jar Group

The Bell Jar Group presented a great lesson that explained the main themes and overall point of the book in a way that made it easy to follow and informative. I felt that I learned a great deal more than I thought I would going into the lesson about the life and writings of Sylvia Path. I was not aware of the effect that her life had on the meaning and understanding of the book. The groups activities made it easy for everyone to get involved in the lesson and I especially liked Tia's activity were I had to look through the "feminist glasses" to get the perspective she was looking for. Connecting the book to Sylvia Plath's life was a great way for not only me, but the entire class to be engaged in what the author was trying to convey in the novel. I thought that this book was a great tool to teach about life, in that students in secondary schools are frequently questioning what is socially acceptable and what they feel is right. This book addresses those needs, but I am worried about the content being too explicit to teach in a high school classroom. The overall performance of the group was very good and I wish that I could adapt those activities in my classroom in the future.

No comments: