Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Wilhelm Chapter Two

I like that Wilhelm goes into more detail about specific students and their attitudes towards reading; whether it be enjoyment, frustration, or boredom. Wilhelm notes that as a teacher it is your job to familiarize students with literature and show them the variety of book available to them. He also makes note of how little time is given to teaching reading, and that subjects such as math and science are more of an educational focal point. I think the point that stuck with me was Cora's comment on page 31, "I don't believe reading can or should be graded." I believe that she is on to something. If you know a grade is dependent on something you are less likely to really enjoy it, and will instead just work to get it done without really reading into it.

No comments: